Chloe

I'm Chloe.My Chinese name is Yuchung, Lin(林侑璁).I'm from Taiwan.I'm excited but nervous to study in UW.Nice to be your classmates *0*

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Week2-Social Aspects of New Media Technologies

Pope John Paul II said, “ If it doesn't happen on television, it doesn't happen.”
Indeed, we live in a media-dominated era. In the past 10 years or so, the controls over media have been liberalized to another stage, which has been a watershed for the media.
Combined with the Internet and digital technology, the existing media has been pushed to its epitome in development and people get used to accepting this kind of technological changes.

When I read this article- Social Aspects of New Media Technologies, I find many attractive opinions.The author thinks that our concern is more with the human and social impacts than the technology itself. There are three main theories given to explain how the new media affect the human behavior, how the society and new media interact, and how the human need impacts new media.

Because of my research paper “Social network analysis on web log-by case of wretchblog” in T.Y class, I’m very interested in Uses and Gratifications theory.
I would like to use this theory to find out why some people are willing to show their emotion and diary to the public. Will they get gratification by doing this? Also, some people extremely like to see other’s blog. What kind of blog is their favorite? Is it relative their life style or their personality? Thanks for this article. I have more ideas about my research paper.

As time goes by, the appearance of cable television allows people to have more choices. For example, Children choose some cartoon channels to make them to laugh. Businessmen choose watch financial and economical news to earn more money. In my case, I have always been a TV-baby, someone who would never let go of the tube. I was fascinated by every signal and information released from television that told me about the world, especially fashion show program. I love any beautiful things. By watching this kind of programs, I’m not only soaked in the wonderful atmosphere to see those creative works, but also lead me to obtain real gratifications.

I have learned the third theory- Diffusion of innovation-before. Let’s refer to “Media technology and society”. It mentioned “brakes” and “accelerator”. I think that can match Diffusion of innovation theory. The “accelerator” is the supervening social necessity transforming the prototype into an invention. If the number of users of some invention reaches a saturation point, the suppression of the government or the demand-supply in market would reduce its growing speed; thus the number of users won’t increase. Furthermore, because I think that this theory is similar to the economical market, besides in communication field, it can be used well in many other fields.


By the way, the most important “ah ha” to me is that my English is so poor that I can’t read and understand these articles quickly. I’ll try my best to write the ”ah ha” in the next couple of weeks. Wish you can understand my words more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home