Chloe

I'm Chloe.My Chinese name is Yuchung, Lin(林侑璁).I'm from Taiwan.I'm excited but nervous to study in UW.Nice to be your classmates *0*

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Week 9- My Experience on Using Technologies.

As a student abroad, in order to share my life experience and feelings with the relatives and friends in the hometown, I created my blog before I came to Seattle. Accidentally, I found my friends near around have their own blogs. Blogs have already become a significant medium that can allow us to understand each other more and more. Meanwhile, I also upload some pictures on my blog to let my parents closely know my life.

Moreover, I used to communicating my Taiwanese friends and my family via MSN Messager and Skype. They not only cost less instead of the traditional communication method, such as the telephone, but also let us to see each other via webcam. Then, we won’t feel that we are at a distance o the Pacific Ocean. Recently, I upgraded my version of MSN Messenger. It becomes easier to use and allows me to add more people in my MSN list.

What are the factors that drive me to adopt these technologies? Uses & Gratification theory will help me to explain that. Except for the above reasons, I can utilize my blog to express my opinions and show myself whom I want to others know. By getting others’ responds and comments, I can receive a lot of gratification and know there are some friends who are concerned and care about me. In the same way, I can use MSN and Skype to chat with my family and get happiness. That will decrease my nostalgia and lead me to have more energy to face future challenges.

When I was writing my past paper, I knew TAM (Technology Acceptance Model) theory. This model points that exogenous variables of acceptance for a new technology are (1) perceived usefulness and (2) perceived ease of use. It can assist me to realize why I adopt these technologies. There is no denying that blogs and MSN/Skype is useful to me and they have fit in with the first variable. As far as I’m concerned, the use of blogs is so easy that it can be used from grandma to her grandchildren because setting up a blog needs no special skills or knowledge, and MSN/Skype does, too.

We talked about “The tragedy of the commons” two weeks ago. I think the theory of the commons also applies on the Internet because people may do whatever they want and excessively abuse these virtual resources; thus, there might be more and more pollution on the Internet, such as spams, Ads, and even viruses. Therefore, I bought the software—McAfee-- Computer anti-virus software and internet security to prevent that my computer is bothered and invaded by Spams and viruses.


Internet in the Snow

Since snow began falling in Seattle on Sunday, I went Internet to check about the weather condition and to know news everywhere online, such as traffic situation and some accidents. I sincerely recommend some weather website ( http://www.weather.com ), which can suggest me to wear what kind of clothes and tell me about what the weather feels really like because sometimes, the temperature will not show the actual feeling when we go out. Also, I downloaded the software about the weather report, and then it can show the temperature anytime on the desktop of my computer.

In the cold weather, everyone does not want to go out. At that time, we may not meet each other by face-to-face, but we can use MSN or Skype to talk with our friends. Next, we can send our work about our job to our manager via MSN or E-mail immediately, so we can still deal with many things. In these days, I bought some clothes online because I need some cozy jackets but I can’t go outside to go shopping. Nowadays, it is very convenient to shop on the websites, such as E-bay or yahoo. Recently, there are more big companies focusing on this kind of markets. Because shopping on the internet possibly needs no tax, and there may be sometimes no shipping fee, I am interested to shop on the internet now, especially in United State.

However, snow seems decrease Internet speed a little and destroy the flowing passageway of Internet. If the snow becomes heavier, our Internet would be blocked and then we can’t go online smoothly. That will make me to dislike this romantic snow in Seattle.

1 Comments:

Blogger e-spot said...

I agree shopping on the Internet is so convenient and cost-effective these days that we do not have to go out in the cold or snowy days to make purchases. There are so much more choices and tremendous deals on merchandises and electronic items online, isolating the retail mark-up and middle-men which exist going to department stores. Thanks to the big "I" (Internet)!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home